Screen quality is essential in many situations. You need it not only when you’re working on designs but also when you’re watching a movie or playing online slots real money. Want to choose a high-quality display? Then this guide will help you.
The image sensor is the first parameter you should look at when choosing a monitor. It has three main indicators:
- Color rendering. It’s responsible for the amount of colors the human eye can distinguish on the screen. The wider the coverage of the color profile, the richer the picture becomes.
- Viewing angle. It affects the color rendering and visibility of the picture at different tilt angles. The lower the index, the worse the picture is seen from the side or from above.
- Response time. It’s responsible for the speed of display of user actions on the screen. Typically, the difference in this indicator is noticeable only in games.
Screen manufacturers use three main types of matrices: TN, VA, and IPS. The better and more modern the image sensor, the better the image quality. But each type has its own pros and cons.
TN and VA
These are budget image sensors that are used in most laptops and monitors. The main advantage is the fast response time. Some have response time less than 1 ms – this is the indicator you should strive for when choosing a screen.
Another advantage of TN image sensors is support for high refresh rate. It can reach 144 Hz and higher. This makes this image sensor the best solution for gaming monitors.
Disadvantages of TN image sensors are color rendering and viewing angles. The color profile is determined by the sRGB standard, which determines the degree of coverage of all shades. On screens with a TN image sensor, the indicator rarely exceeds 50%. For games, watching movies and working with text, this is enough, but you cannot work with graphics.
Good viewing angles are rarely found on TN image sensors. As a rule, they are limited to 160°. At the same time the normal value is 178 ° and above. But if you are using a computer alone, choose a screen with any viewing angle – you will still look straight at the screen.
If you want a screen with a good viewing angle, choose VA image sensor. This is a kind of TN which is the most common among HP screens.
A mid-priced image sensor with excellent color reproduction. It can cover up to 100% of shades according to sRGB standard, which means that the image will be saturated and colorful. If you work with graphics or just like bright, saturated tones in games, an IPS screen is perfect.
Some IPS screens use the Adobe RGB or DCI-P3 standards. These are advanced color profiles with more shades in the palette. They are used in professional graphics and film, but gradually passed into the world of personal computers. Of course, such screens are more expensive, so they are preferred by graphic designers, artists, and editors.
Few people want to look at a picture with a slow frame change: it starts rippling in the eyes, and vision deteriorates. To keep eyes from getting tired after hours of work, the refresh rate should be at least 60 Hz – this is the common standard. With it, the picture is smooth, and there is no delay between frames.
Fans of dynamic games and movies are better to look out for screens with a higher refresh rate. The most popular options: 75, 120, and 144 Hz.
Do you remember how at the first computers the picture was blurred and in the games you could see the pixels? The same feeling occurs when you watch movies or play modern games in low resolution. Choose displays with a resolution of 1920×1080 – otherwise known as FullHD. This is the gold standard of modern models.
FullHD is not the limit for today’s screens. There are options with 2K and 4K resolution. For the average user, this resolution is an unnecessary overpayment, but fans of maximum detail in movies and games will appreciate it.
Top 6 Displays for Different Purposes
When you understand the selection criteria, it may seem that it is not easy to find a decent screen. After all, you need to choose a model that will suit you in quality, price, and functionality. This is a common misconception: there are a lot of decent models on the market for different purposes.
For home and work, the following models are suitable:
- Acer ER221qbd. Compact 21.5″ display with thin frames, FullHD resolution, and even IPS image sensor. Viewing angle is 178 °, refresh rate is 60 Hz.
- Acer R270Usmipx. If you want to turn your screen into a home theater, Acer will definitely appeal to you. Enjoying the best movies in excellent quality with a diagonal of 27 inches, FullHD, and refresh rate of 75 Hz. Another advantage is AMD FreeSync technology, which makes your playing games and movies much smoother with dynamic scenes.
To work with graphics, choose these options:
- Philips 246E9QDSB/00. A budget solution for those who love Figma, Photoshop, and Illustrator. There is nothing superfluous in it: FullHD resolution and color range, aspiring to 100% according to sRGB standard.
- LG25UM58-P. Sometimes you need widescreen solutions to work with graphics. For example, it is convenient to draw layouts for applications or websites. The 25-inch LG25UM58-P is just about that. Instead of the standard 16:9 aspect ratio, the monitor got 21:9. Combined with almost 100% sRGB and a relatively small price tag, the screen is sure to appeal to web designers and game artists.
For gaming, the following models are the best:
- LG 24GL600F-B. A budget solution for gamers is a TN monitor with a high refresh rate. For example, the 24-inch LG 24GL600F-B received as much as 144 Hz and AMD FreeSync support, so the picture will be smooth even in the most dynamic scenes. The response time is only 1 ms. That’s about 4-5 times faster than previous models.
- MSI Optix MAG241CP. A better solution for gaming is MSI’s 24-inch monitor. The legendary manufacturer used a curved screen, 115% sRGB coverage and a VA matrix so gamers can get the most immersive experience. The standard gameplay parameters have not been forgotten either: refresh rate – 144 Hz, response time – 1 ms.
It turns out that finding a good monitor is easy. All you need to do is to decide on a budget and parameters.